Saturday, November 22, 2008

Posting from HK - Day 1 and 2

Day 1 - We arrived in HK 1230 a.m. on the 21 Nov and checked into Metropark Mongkok hotel at around 2.30 p.m. The room is really small - half the size of the room I stayed in at Regal Oriental. After putting down our luggage, we tried the wanton mee in a "cha chan teng" nearby. After that we walked around Mongkok area and and then took the MTR to Central which is at Hong Kong side. I called up Winsor and asked him where we could get some DVD. He told us that it would be easy to get them at Kowloon side - Tung Choi Street. We managed to walk to Lan Kwai Fong and also experienced going up the longest covered elevator in the world to SOHO area. At the end we had lunch in sheung wan at a restaurant called Mama Mia. We ordered 2 sets - My hubby had steak with goose liver and lobster soup whereas I took the set with ribs and pea soup. The dessert has a very interesting name "heart too soft" - something like a chocolate cup cake with fluid chocolate inside. The sets come with a free bottle of red wine and we only paid HK 338 for everything. A good start to celebrate our 15th anniversary. Time really flies - I have known my hubby for 22 years!
After that we went back to Tung Choi Street to get the DVDs and tried out more street food. My husband ate 2 pieces of smelly tofu and I love their fried octupus. He also tried the snake soup.

Day 2 - We went for the half day tour. Our first destination was the Avenue of Stars and the tour company took a picture of us. We visited the jewellery factory and a factory outlet. After that we visited Ngong Ping village which is at Lantau Island.

It was quite a fright on the cable car ride up to Ngong Ping Village. There was a technical problem and we were stalled for a few minutes - imaging being suspended in the air a few hundred metres above the valley. You can view the video clip below.

On our way up we actually saw quite a number of people climbing up the mountain - I was so.. impressed .. I think I will drop dead half way up the mountain. We finally reached Ngong Ping village and walked towards Po Lin Monastry and took our lunch at a nearby Vegetarian restaurant which is surrounded by the forest. We ordered the set lunch which comes in a set of 2 bowl of soups, 2 dishes of vegetable/ mock chicken and rice. I must say that we enjoyed the lunch esp in the serene of the countryside. We took the cable car down and then the MTR back to our hotel. We went for the French/Japanese buffet in our hotel. My husband fell in love with goose liver and had it again! The spread was good with mini lobster, snow crab, prawns, oyster etc. I am very impressed with the roasted lamb and something like a stuffed bacon. The food was simply delicious and attracted a large no. of patrons though it is quite costly at HK258 per pax. However, as hotel guests, we are entitled to 25% off. I also accessed the internet by the computer terminal at the cafe ( HK20 for half an hour usage) to check in via the internet for our return trip at the singapore airline website. I was quite happy that we had been given the window seats so I did not make any changes this time.

No comments: